I am an INFJ according to Meyers Briggs Personality Test. I’m 100% sure this is my personality, there’s actually no other way to explain why my personality is soooo…off-beat.
I wish I would have known my personality sooner, it would have saved me a lot of heartache of not really accepting myself in my adolescent years and not really trusting my strengths while hating myself for my weaknesses. (Yes, I had low self esteem in my teens).
At times I wished I was more proper and prim like our seemly similar cousins, the ISFJ. They are the most common personality type amongst women. Thus making them more likable and relatable to other women.
But I’m an INFJ and this makes me rare, intriguing, hard to crack, etc…. Actually we’re just like everyone else.
The most important thing to know about INFJs are the functions they use in their personality
Their Dominant Function is Introverted Intuition (Ni). A dominant function is the way a personality type sees the world. This is their go-to way of communicating and living
- Introverted Intuition: The best way to explain this is that it’s like having access to all the unconscious information you’ve ever collected in life. You understand your own unconscious desires, the underlying reasons for human behaviour. You can understand the basics of how something works without necessarily experiencing it first hand, just by hearing something second hand. You understand everything is interconnected and how the blueprint of life/society works.
Their Auxiliary Function is Extraverted Feeling. The Auxilary Function is the “helper” to the Dominant Function. It supports the dominant Function and helps realize it’s goals.
- Extraverted Feeling (Fe): You want the feeling of the group to be very good and harmonious. The group feeling is prioritized over your own feelings. Example: Fe users know the group wants to see movie X but they really want to see movie A. They are less likely to upset the excitement of the group to push for movie A, but might compromise with themselves to view that movie on their own time.
- As an auxiliary function, Fe tends to be a people pleaser. It can “read” emotions when paired with Ni and understand where the emotion is coming from. Fe can manipulate emotions. A healthy INFJ can use it to benefit themselves and others. It can be used to inspire the masses (Think “I Have A Dream” speech from MLK) An unhealthy INFJ will manipulate to control via guilt or negative emotions
The Tertiary function for INFJ is Introverted Thinking (Ti) The tertiary function is not that strong but is a third function you’ll use in order to accomplish a goal. It’s the function you can grasp but find is constantly slipping through your fingers in terms of being truly competent at it.
- Introverted Thinking is very logical. Like “2 + B =5, Therefore B=3″type logic. It’s very good at making inferences and is highly efficient. It creates incredible systems that work and flow seamlessly.
- As a third function I can use this to get things done efficiently at work. I can come up with a system that does the job at work but is not necessarily the most efficient option.
- It can be an area of weakness, I can’t really create systems that work in my life to benefit me. I’m not great at “working the system” to my advantage. Those kind of things kind of just go over my head and are not a real priority.
The Inferior Function for INFJ is Extroverted Sensing. (Se). The inferior function is the bane of your existence. You desire to be able to use it but every time you fumble. It’s a clumsy area for you and over time you learn to work around it with your other functions.
- Introverted Sensing is being able to live in the moment. Like REALLY live in the moment. Every detail is noticed. Life is vibrant and each experience is unique and different. Se is more impulsive and able to make most of the opportunities in front of it. It tends to value material things and status symbols.
- As an inferior function, it took me a long time to feel comfortable in the moment and just enjoy it for what it was. I was always searching for meaning and purpose in every moment of my life. Some moments can just be enjoyed!
- I’m not fashionable though I try. I sometimes feel anxious if I feel like an outfit mismatch or I realize a shirt has a stain or a missing button I didn’t notice before.
- I bump into things that I don’t notice but are obviously there. I don’t enjoy driving, it literally feels like the world is coming at me too fast and I won’t be able to notice an obvious detail, which is very scary!
- I subconsciously value high quality things and brands but can live without them and make do. I value money but it’s not the main goal in life.
Im not trying to sound pretentious with my post, on being the rarest personality. I hope this posts helps others trying to understand themselves or someone they love. We may be different, but we don’t bite. 🙂
I think we can get along with most of everyone but the personality types I get along with best are: ENTP (My husband), INFP (My Sister), INTP, ENFJ,
I’m OK with ENFP, ESTP, INTJ and ESFP.
I don’t go as well with ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTP or ESTJ
I recommend everyone type themselves. MBTI is kind of like a pseudo-science but then again, isn’t all of psychology a little bit of a pseudo-science? I personally find it very useful in understanding the points of views of other people and understanding yourself.
If you’re interested in free testing for your personality type, I recommend:
Feel free to like comment and share!